Another month is done, and almost a whole other year. It really is crazy how fast time flies the older we get eh? Plus I’ve been having a ton of fun this year and always have a trip or two on the horizon. All have led me to say, ‘Holy cow! There is only one month left in 2015!”. Just a mere 31 days that will be quickly gone in a blur of holiday preparations and celebrations, blogging, finalizing a trip for one of my clients, and then off to Scotland to spend the new year. No doubt you are feeling the same about this time of year.
And now on to see if I made any more progress towards my travel goals this month. And I did. Sort of.
Goal #1: Reach (or exceed) specific milestones for most of my Lifetime Travel Goals
Still sitting at 100 % with this goal, having reached it in July, and still looking forward to exceeding it in December when I add Scotland to my list of visited countries.
New Countries Visited in 2015:
- Luxembourg (March)
- Albania (May)
- Germany (July)
Since July, when new UNESCO sites were announced, I’ve had the San Antonio Missions on the list as a “visited prior to 2015” site but this month that changed as the kiddo and I headed off to San Antonio for our last Texas road trip of the year. He had visited the Alamo with me many years ago but didn’t remember going so that was definitely on the list. Then we took a morning and made our way to the other four missions along the Mission Trail so I can now firmly put this destination on the list for 2015.
Also this month I’ve been writing about our trip to Albania which has included posts about all the UNESCO sites we visited there. If you’d like to check them out I’ve linked back to each of them below on the list.
- Rideau Canal, Canada (January)
- City of Bath, England (February)
- Stonehenge, England (February)
- Fortifications of Vauban- Arras (March)
- Cathedral of Notre-Dame, Former Abbey of Saint-Rémi and Palace of Tau, Reims (March)
- City of Luxembourg: Its Old Quarters and Fortifications (March)
- Butrint (May)
- Historic Centres of Berat and Gjirokastra (May)
- Hanseatic city of Lübeck (July)
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District with Chilehaus in Hamburg (July)
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island) in Berlin (July)
- Berlin Modernism Housing Estates (July)
- San Antonio Missions ( November)
No more landmarks from this listed visited in November but we still have one more left to go this year when we visit Scotland.
Landmarks visited in 2015:
- Royal Crescent (February)
- Stonehenge (February)
- Reichstag (July)
- Brandenburg Gate (July)
- Hollywood Sign (August)
- Golden Gate Bridge (August)
Believe it or not but I have actually made some progress on this goal this month with not one, but TWO books that qualify for this goal. I’ve been reading one set in Paris, and listening to another set in Northern Ireland. Unfortunately the audio book is a library book and it expired before I finished so now I’m in the hold queue to check it out again once it becomes available. Fingers crossed that happens before the end of the year, not just so I can count it towards this goal, but also because it is a great story and I can’t wait to hear the ending!
Books read in 2015 towards goal (links take you to my reviews of each book):
- The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul (Afghanistan)
- That Scandalous Summer (England)
- Radio Shangri-la (Bhutan)
Goal #2: #Take12Trips in 2015
While I didn’t take any trips in September or October, I think I’ve more than made up for it in November with three get-aways to Flatonia, TX and San Antonio, TX and Phoenix, AZ! Can I count them for the months I missed them? Nah, the point of this goal was to get out and about at least once a month if possible and although I didn’t quite manage it, we still had a very full year of travel and exploring.
Trips Taken in 2015:
- Explored more of my home country of Canadaa (January)
- Weekend get-away to Bath, UK with L (February)
- Weekend road trip to Dallas, TX with the kiddo (February)
- Learned more about the history of World War I with visits to cemeteries, memorials, museums, and battleground sites, along with exploring some UNESCO sites in France, Belgium, and Luxembourg (March)
- Weekend road trip to Austin, TX with the kiddo (April)
- Tour of Albania (May)
- Exploring more of London and surrounding area and weekend get-away in Paris (June)
- Day trips to Lübeck and Bergen-Belsen from Hamburg and a weekend in Berlin (July)
- California Dreamin’ road trip (August)
- Road trip with the kiddo to San Antonio, TX (November)
- Weekend get-away with L to Flatonia, TX (November)
- Thanksgiving trip to Phoenix, AZ with L (November)
Goal #3: Global Eats
November was such a busy month the kiddo and I didn’t get to try any new global cuisine but we did enjoy an old favourite- British pub grub! While in San Antonio we popped into a British pub restaurant and he had bangers with mash and I had cottage pie and I introduced him to Scotch Eggs. So good! Not as good as the real deal in a real British pub but we’ll take it for sure.